JEE MAIN 2020 EXAM
About JEE Main
The Joint Entrance Examination (JEE) is an All-India Common Entrance Exam for facilitating admissions into engineering colleges across India. It is conducted in two phases: the first being JEE Main and the second being JEE Advanced. While institutions like the NITs, IIITs and other Central or State Funded Institutes grant admissions based on the results of JEE Main, IITs and ISM, Dhanbad, grant admissions based on the results of JEE Advanced. Additionally, students are eligible to take JEE Advanced only if they clear the cut-off marks prescribed for JEE Main.
JEE Main is considered to be one of the toughest exams in the world. Every year, over 9.2 lakh students appear for this exam while approx 2.45 lakh get a rank to qualify for JEE Advanced.
Computer Based Exam for JEE Main 2020
You can appear for JEE Main 2020 in online mode . The Computer Based Exam (online exam) is conducted using Local Area Network (LAN), instead of the internet, to make JEE Main 2020 safe, secure and uninterrupted. Candidates can apply for the computer-based exam through the JEE Main website. The Computer-Based Test will be quite similar to the offline ones, except for the fact that candidates will be given an unlimited amount of rough sheets for calculations and other rough work.
- Age Criteria: Appearing in the JEE (Main)
examination there is no age limit
for the candidates. The candidates who have passed XII
examination in 2018, 2019 or appearing in 2020 irrespective of
their age can appear in JEE (Main) Examination – 2020. The
candidates should satisfy themselves about the eligibility of
age limit requirements of the
Institutes in which he/she is
desirous of taking admission.
- Year of Appearance in Qualifying Examination (QE):
Only those candidates who have passed their Class 12th Examination or any equivalent qualifying examination in 2018 or 2019; or those who are appearing in their Class 12th Examination or any equivalent qualifying examination in 2020 are eligible to appear in both January, 2020 and April, 2020 JEE (Main)-2020 Examination.Candidates who passed Class 12th/Qualifying examination in 2016 or before as well as those who will appear in such examination in 2020 or later are not eligible to appear in JEE (Main) 2020.
- Qualifying Marks: Candidate should have secured at least 75% marks in the 12thclass examination, or be in the top 20 percentile in the 12th class examination conducted by the respective Boards. For SC/ST candidates the qualifying marks would be 65% in the 12thclass examination.
Result: The score and rank of Paper-I of JEE (Main) – 2020 for all candidates will be declared by 31th January, 2020 for first attempt and 30th April,2020 for second attempt. This score shall comprise the actual marks obtained in Paper-I of JEE (Main) – 2020 along with the status of those who qualify for appearing in JEE (Advanced) – 2020 provided and subject to other conditions of eligibility being met. The rank shall comprise All India rank and All India category rank. Candidates are advised to download their score/rank cards from the JEE (Main) website //jeemain.nic.in or //nta.ac.in
- Subjects in Qualifying Examination: Candidates must have taken at least five subjects in class 12th/qualifying examination in order to be eligible for writing JEE (Main) – 2020. The candidates who have taken four subjects are not permitted to write JEE (Main) 2020 and if such candidates appear in JEE(Main) 2020 by furnishing wrong information, their rank/result will not be declared.
- Age Criteria: Appearing in the JEE (Main) examination there is no age limit for the candidates. The candidates who have passed XII examination in 2018, 2019 or appearing in 2020 irrespective of their age can appear in JEE (Main) Examination – 2020. The candidates should satisfy themselves about the eligibility of age limit requirements of the Institutes in which he/she is
- Number of Attempts: All the candidates aspiring to take
admission in the undergraduate programmes at IITs and ISM Dhanbad for
the year 2020 will have to appear in the Paper 1 (B. E./B. Tech.) of JEE
(Main)-2020 Based on the performance in Paper 1 (B. E./B. Tech.) of JEE
(Main)-2020, top 2,20,000 candidates (including all categories) will be
eligible to appear in JEE(Advanced)-2020.
- Admissions to IITs/ISM Dhanbad will be based only on category-wise All India Rank (AIR) in JEE (Advanced), subject to conditions as defined in JEE (Advanced)–2020 website.
- A candidate can attempt JEE (Advanced) a maximum of two times in consecutive years irrespective of whether or not he/she passed the Qualifying Examination. The candidates, who have attempted JEE (Main) /JEE (Advanced) in 2018 or earlier, are NOT ELIGIBLE to appear in JEE(Advanced)–2020.
Applicants will have to apply online for JEE Mains 2020. No need to send any document(Hard Copy) to CBSE or IIT. Candidate can apply in simply follow the given below steps:
a. Registration: Candidate have to first register by providing some details such as name,email ID, Mobile No, DOB etc. Candidate must be kept safe their username and password entire duration of the JEE Main 2020 process, till the admission is complete.
b. Filling the Application Form: After registration candidate have to login using username and password and follow the given below instructions
- Exam related details :- Such as Paper I or Paper II or Both, Mode of examination, Medium etc
- Personal Details :-Such as Father’s name, Mother’s name etc
- Academic Details:-Such as Passing year of 10th class, Name of School etc
- Mailing address details :- Such as District, State, Pin etc
- Guardian Details :- Such as Qualification, Occupation etc
- Choose Password :-Security question and answer and Password (should be in 8 to 13 characters long)
- Security Pin :- Enter given security pin or Generate new security pin
- Verify mobile No and Email ID
c. Upload Image: Candidate also to upload their recent colored passport size photograph(With name and print date ) and signature in JPEG format.
- Size of photograph 4KB to 40KB and Dimension 3.5 cm X 4.5 Cm
- Size of signature 1KB to 30KB and Dimension 3.5 cm X 1.5 Cm
d. Fee Payment: Examination fee depends on Paper/ Examination Mode/ Category
|Paper-1 (B.E. / B.TECH) OR
Paper-2 (B.ARCH / B.PLANNING)
|500 Boys||250 Boys|
|250 Girls||250 Girls|
|BothPaper-1 (B.E. / B.TECH) AND
Paper-2 (B.ARCH / B.PLANNING)
|900 Boys||450 Boys|
|450 Girls||450 Girls|
- Amount in Indian rupees.
e. JEE Main 2020 Confirmation Page: After submission of the application form, a confirmation page will be generated. This page will mention all the details of the candidates as given in the application form. This page has to be kept safe by all applicants. However, they need not send this confirmation page to the JEE Main 2020 authorities.
|Event||First Attempt||Second Attempt|
|Dates of Examination||Between 06.01.2020 (Monday) to 11.01.2020 (Saturday)||Between 03.04.2020 (Friday) to 09.04.2020 (Thursday)|
|Printing of Admit Cards from NTA’s website||From 19-12-2019|
The JEE Main 2020 Examination will be conducted with Paper I & Paper II. Paper I for B.E & B.Tech and Paper II for B.Arch & B.Planning.
a. Paper 1 (for B.E. and B. Tech.)
|Subjects||Physics, Chemistry, and Mathematics|
|Type of Questions||Objective (MCQs)|
|Mode of Examination||Online Mode|
|Exam Duration||3 hours|
|Number of Questions||75 (25 Qs from each subject)
. Number of MCQ : 20
. Number of Integer Type : 05
(For MCQ and Integer type)
|4 marks awarded for each correct answer|
(Only for MCQ)
|1 mark deducted for each incorrect response|
NOTE : No Negative Marking in Integer Type
b. Paper 2 (for B. Arch. & B. Planning)
|Subjects and Type of Questions||Part 1 – Mathematics – Objective Type Questions
(30 question, 4 marks each)
Part 2 – Aptitude Test – Objective Type Questions (50 question, 4 marks each)
Part 3 – Drawing Test – Questions to test a candidate’s drawing aptitude (2 question, Total marks : 70)
|Negative Marking||1 mark will be deducted for each incorrect response.|
|Mode of Examination||Online Mode|
|Exam Duration||3 hours|
c. Language Mediums in JEE Main 2020
|Exam Centres||Medium of Language|
|All Examination Centres||English and Hindi|
|Exam Centres in Gujarat, Daman & Diu and Dadra & Nagar Haveli||English, Hindi, and Gujarati|
- Practice is the Key: Practice as much as you can. 70% of your JEE preparation comprises of practice. Motion offers over 5 lakh questions in our question bank to help you learn and strengthen concepts in each chapter.
- All India Test Series: Give time-bound mock tests in a completely exam-like environment to improve your efficiency at attempting questions. Motion offers an All-India Test Series that lets you compete with other students from all over India.
- Clear all your Doubts: Don’t get stuck with doubts. Clarify them with Subject Experts at Motion to get an instant reply. You can even discuss your doubts here.
- Join Classroom Program: It is not just about preparing hard for JEE Main 2020, but also about applying certain tried and time-tested techniques. Depending on factors like location, accessibility, convenience and previous results, you can join one of our classroom program or distance learning program, whatever suits you more.
- Study from the Best Sources: NCERT and several recommended books for JEE are the minimum resources you need. Motion offers the best study material from all over the web to help you prepare better.
- Revision is Important: When you go through a formula or concept, maintain revision notes in the form of bullet points. Revision will be useful when the exam is close and a good revision pattern will take less time. Normally, without these notes, you would have to go through the entire chapter to understand important points once again.Then Motion provides FRM(Final Revision Module).
Previous Years Paper
Practising previous years’ JEE papers is important as it helps you simulate the real exam. Motion provides you with a complete set of all question banks from previous years which you can practice to sharpen your skills.
Here are the previous JEE Main papers you can refer:
You can find more papers here.
Solving sample papers and previous year papers is not only advisable, but also mandatory if you want to stay ahead of the stiff competition in JEE Main 2020. Solving sample papers will help you to prepare for the expected paper and its pattern while also assisting you in learning efficient time management. You can also assess your own performance by practicing sample papers and judge your level of preparation for JEE Main 2020.
A candidate needs to clear the JEE Main 2020 cut-off to appear for JEE Advanced. Only the top 2,20,000 students will be qualified for JEE Advanced, based on JEE Main 2020 results.
As for taking admissions via your JEE Main results, the cutoffs vary from year to year. The cutoffs of individual years depend upon the number of candidates who register, the difficulty level of the paper, and the number of institutes participating in the counseling procedure.
The Admit Card can be downloaded from JEE (Main) website from 19.12.2019 onwards. The candidates are advised to download their admit cards from NTA’s website only. The Candidates are also advised to regularly see NTA website for updates. A help desk will also be functional on all working days from 10.00 AM to 5.00 PM for general facilitation. The phone numbers of the help desk are available on the website of NTA.
The JEE Main 2020 result will be declared online. candidates are advised to download their score/rank cards from the JEE (Main) website //jeemain.nic.in only.
The JEE Main 2020 cut-off indicates the closing ranks or minimum scores that the applicants need to score to qualify for JEE Advanced 2020. Candidates who don’t meet the cut-off will be considered ineligible. However, they can still participate in the JEE Main counseling, conducted by JoSAA.
JEE Main Cut off Trends (2013-2018)
|S. No.||Category||Cut off||Number of Candidates|
The Best NITs in India per MHRD Ranking
The Government of India’s HRD ministry offers an official ranking of engineering institutions every year in India. According to its latest rankings, many NITs that have made it to the list, along with several premier institutions like IITs and IISc. However, we are providing you with the top-ranked NITs in this list in an ascending order of ranks. We are also giving you the exact rank of NIT in this list.
Rank (NIRF – MHRD)
|National Institute of Technology (NIT), Tiruchirappalli||Tamil Nadu||
|Sardar Vallabhbhai National Institute of Technology (SVNIT), Surat||Gujarat||
|Visvesvaraya National Institute of Technology (VNIT), Nagpur||Maharashtra||
|National Institute of Technology(NIT), Rourkela||Orissa||
|National Institute of Technology (NIT), Surathkal||Karnataka||
|Motilal Nehru National Institute of Technology(MNNIT), Allahabad||Uttar Pradesh||
|National Institute of Technology (NIT), Warangal||Telangana||
|National Institute of Technology (NIT), Durgapur||West Bengal||
|National Institute of Technology(NIT), Calicut||Kerala||
|Malviya National Institute of Technology (MNIT), Jaipur||Rajasthan||
|National Institute of Technology (NIT), Jalandhar||Punjab||
|National Institute of Technology (NIT), Kurukshetra||Haryana||
|National Institute of Technology (NIT), Hamirpur||Himachal Pradesh||
|National Institute of Technology (NIT), Agartala||Tripura||
|National Institute of Technology (NIT), Meghalaya||Meghalaya||
|Note: The Ministry of Human Resource Development (MHRD) announces NIRF or National Institutional Ranking Framework rankings every year. Thus, the mentioned ranks for NITs are among the top 100 engineering colleges in India.|
- Visit the NTA official website and JEE Main official website.
- Enter your JEE Main 2020 Roll Number and Date of Birth.
- Click on the ‘Submit’ tab.
- The JEE Main 2020 Rank List will appear in front of you.
- Check the JEE Main 2020 rank and save it for future reference.
The Joint Seat Allocation Authority (JoSAA) will conduct counseling and seat allotment for JEE Main 2020 through the online mode in six rounds tentatively. Counselling for JEE Main 2020 is likely to start from the first week of July 2020 tentatively. Only candidates who clear JEE Main 2020 will be eligible for the counseling process and the subsequent steps of seat allotment:
The following steps are involved in the JEE Main 2020 counseling procedure:
- Online Registration
- Online Choice Filling and Locking
- JoSAA 2020 Seat Allotment
- Seat Acceptance and Fees Payment
- Reporting to the Allotted College
List of documents required for the JEE Main 2020 Counselling:
- 3 Passport Sized Colored Photographs (same as the ones uploaded during the time of registration)
- Provisional Seat Allotment Letter
- Photo Identity Card
- Proof of Seat Acceptance Payment
- JEE Main 2020 Admit Card
- Proof of Date of Birth
- JEE Main 2020 Scorecard
- Mark sheet of Class 12th or any equivalent qualifying exam
- Category Certificate (if applicable)
1. National Institute of Technology , Agartala (Tripura)
2. Motilal Nehru National Institute of Technology, Allahabad (U.P.)
3. National Institute of Technology, Arunachal Pradesh.
4. Maulana Azad National Institute of Technology, Bhopal (MP)
5. National Institute of Technology, Calicut (Kerela)
6. National Institute of Technology, Delhi
7. National Institute of Technology, Durgapur (West Bengal)
8. National Institute of Technology, Goa
9. National Institute of Technology, Hamirpur (Himachal Pradesh)
10. Malviya National Institute of Technology, Jaipur (Rajasthan)
11. Dr. B R Ambedkar National Institute of Technology, Jalandhar (Punjab)
12. National Institute of Technology, Jamshedpur (Jharkhand)
13. National Institute of Technology, Kurukshetra (Haryana)
14. National Institute of Technology, Manipur
15. National Institute of Technology, Meghalaya
16. National Institute of Technology, Mizoram
17. National Institute of Technology, Nagaland
18. Visvesvaraya National Institute of Technology, Nagpur (Maharashtra)
19. National Institute of Technology, Patna (Bihar)
20. National Institute of Technology, Puducherry
21. National Institute of Technology, Raipur (Chhattisgarh)
22. National Institute of Technology, Rourkela (Odisha)
23. National Institute of Technology, Sikkim
24. National Institute of Technology, Silchar (Assam)
25. National Institute of Technology, Hazartbal, Srinagar (J & K)
26. Sardar Vallabhbhai National Institute of Technology, Surat (Gujarat)
27. National Institute of Technology, Surathkal, Mangalore (Karnataka)
28. National Institute of Technology, Tiruchirapalli (Tamil Nadu)
29. National Institute of Technology, Uttrakhand
30. National Institute of Technology, Warangal
31. National Institute of Technology, Andhra Pradesh, Vatluru, Eluru – 534007